Back in time – P 2

Trip No 66 Carp Fishing (2015)

It’s been sometime but I am out night fishing on a Sunday.  Hopefully this is going to be my plan through the Autumn and Winter months.  It will be mostly on this like with the odd day pike fishing.


I have picked one of the point swims this time.  According to the weatherman, the wind will be swinging around to the south and there is a nice storm pushing through over night.  This should steer the fish up and I have been told they do move on the wind here.

This swim has a nice bay area with a small island to the right of me and open water to the right.


After a plumb around for the best part of an hour.  I was happy with what I had found and felt that one rod would be fished on a nice 6 ft plateau with 8 ft around it.  This would be a good start and the second rod would be fished at the back of the bay.


Just in front of the reeds where there was a nice clear area. I spomb’d out around 10 large loaders of ground bait and poloni boilies over each spot.


The ground bait was a mix of Bait-tech Poloni ground bait and the big carp  method mix.
With a bag of particles and a tin of sweetcorn with a good load of Krill & Tuna Oil for good measure.

Both rod’s had pop’s up on with a Godman Versacast filled with the Hemp oil to add to the attraction.


And by now it was time to get the Ridgemonkey going for a nice bacon sandwich, with a cup of coffee, sit back and enjoy the view.


As darkness fell,  I spotted a fish sticking it’s head out, not too far away from my left hand rod.  This gave me a nice confidence boost before I got my head down.  At around midnight, the wind started to pick up nicely and rattle the bivvy around a lot and I was still thinking of that fish.  By 0230 and no signs of any fish including the bream, I finally drifted back off to sleep and woke to a couple of bleeps on the left rod.  I quickly got to the rod and turned on a small pen light which I have in my pocket at night, so I can check what’s happening as I never remember to grab a head torch.  The bobbin was up the top and tilting forward and holding steady.  With another single beep,  I grabbed the rod and pulled into a nice lump that was having none of it and headed straight into the open water and past where my right hand rod was.  This was a good 70 yards away.  At this point, I knew I needed to turn the fish and get it a bit more under control.  There is a nice overhanging tree on the right side of the point,  which would be a right royal pain if the fish got into the bay round to the right of me.

I had the rod tip under water and I was pumping the rod hard to keep it away from the tree.  I could feel the fish fighting hard and I new that it was close to the tree and it finally broke water just the other side on the tip of the tree.  Luckily, the water is deep at the front of the swim and I buried the rod farther underwater and pumped nice and slowly, the fish passed this danger point.  It clearly knew this and powdered off into open water in front of me again.  I thought I would have to repeat the process (clever bugger), unfortunately for the fish, I was aware of it though and put a good bit of side strain on.  The fish was well away from the tree and after a good few more minutes of plodding up and down the margins with a couple more bids for freedom (under the tree) it was all over and I could breath a sigh of relief as the fish was safely in the net.


And it tipped the scales at 34lb 8oz and a new PB for me.

IMG_5787 (2)

What a stunning long fish, which gave it all the power.

I checked over the rig and recast the rod and checked the time and it was 0515.  With only 45 minutes before the alarm was due to sound, I just sat and made myself a brew.

Till next time


About richardhandel

I would like to give a brief snap shot of my life and introduce myself; My name is Richard Handel and was born in 1965 in Suffolk. I have worked as a UK Operation & Intermodule Manager for a shipping company. I live in Hampshire now and am married with 2 young children, both girls so I am a bit outnumbered even the cat is a girl! I have been fishing since I was about 7 years old. I started on small local rivers in Suffolk, then moved onto gravel pits and then carp fishing. My personal best is a 39.08 mirror, over recent years I have started river fishing again, on the Hampshire Avon, this is a nice break from the carp lakes. My life has turned a big corner this year, the company I was working for relocated their Operation centre to Estonia. I was offered a job at the head office in London. This would have meant a 5 day commute and working in Stratford. As a family, we did not fancy this, as I would hardly spend any time with the children (and the Mrs). So after 22.5 years, I was given a nice redundancy package and with my wife is working full time. I became the house husband. This has meant a complete turn around in my fishing, as I can pick and choose when I go. I have found a splendid new syndicate to fish this year, which includes 5 lakes and some 8 miles of river with only 150 members. It's an amazing change to the way I am able to fish. I am now trying to start my own tackle business and make a bit of a name for myself in the world of fishing, as I have retired from real work. Richard
This entry was posted in Carp fishing. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.