After seeing all the carp topping yesterday whilst pike fishing (this is the trouble I find myself in when pike fishing lakes), even on the coldest of days, I just end up seeing carp.
I just had to get back down the lake, I had to wait 24 hrs and there was going to be a bucket load of rain over Friday night, into Saturday morning and over Saturday night. These carp don’t particularly like, so I wasn’t completely sure if I was doing the right thing. You just never know. This is why we all go out the the most ridiculous of conditions because on some occasions, you do bag a lump or two. I honestly couldn’t believe my luck, the swim was free. As I stood there, a carp stuck its head out. Well, where there is one, surely there will be more. I just needed to be mindful of the change in conditions over the past 24 hrs, sit on my hands for the afternoon, just cast out a couple of single hook baits with the odd Boilies in the throwing stick (I had to avoid the sea gulls) and then formulate a plan for tonight.
Got a pukka photography of a robin flying off my rod’s.
As the afternoon progressed and a few more fish showed themselves, I decided to move the rod in the far corner of the bay out as night was failing. In the past, I had lost fish on this rod, they kite left and find an old wire rope from the original drag lines they used to dig the lake out. The other rod was left where it was, as there were still plenty of carp out there – admittedly more to the right and nearly in another anglers water. I was going to keep away from this area as that the right thing to do (in my opinion). Pity it’s not every one’s. This is why I fish a Syndicate lake and not anywhere else anymore. The carp are certainly active tonight, fingers crossed. Mind you this is an area I haven’t been overly successful in the past. It’s all about learning/trying something and adjusting the way we fish.
Morning arrived and it was certainly going to be a different day than yesterday. There were plenty of carp topping in the night but just not where I was fishing. This was a bit of a blow, I had until around 1030 before I needed to be off, still feeling hopeful of a morning pick-up. This was a very similar day to Friday, admittedly we had had 24 hrs of rainfall and the water temperature had dropped a bit more. The fish were clearly still active in the night, think I may need a rethink, it’s going to be a hard nut to crack, this lake in the winter. I generally only do quick over-nighters and I am doing less days than before. But I feel a plan coming together, over the next few weeks I will hopefully put a few fish on the bank.
Unfortunately, trip blanked but as normal you learn each time you are out and I will be putting this information to good use, sometime in the future.
Until next time
Please subscribe to my Video Diary