Trip 91 Carp Fishing- 2017

With it being half term week, the family are off to Ireland for the week.  I have the opportunity to fish five nights this week or even go on the river after the Barbel.  Am not really sure yet, don’t think the weather is in my favour at the moment.  We are having way to much rain.  The wind is good and the pressure is perfect, well until the end of the week, as it’s slowly rising.

When I arrived, I had no real expectations of where I would like to fish, so I drove around the complex twice looking and walking.  There was only one other angler setting up for the weekend.  All the other anglers had already gone.  This was a bit of a surprise as it was only just after noon.  Not sure if this is a good omen or not.  A couple of the lads had fished in a swim at the back of the strong winds and had 4 or 5 between them.  So moving in there had crossed my mind.  The only other angler had beaten me to that swim and being a bit of a lone angler, I didn’t fancy the big point.  I had a couple of choices, the wind had swung around, so my favourite area was flat calm and baking in sunshine.  On my second visit around, a fish stuck it head out, that was me sold.  It was the only sign I had seen and I thought I would give it two nights and see how things pan out.

With the rods out in two slightly different spots, as I felt I needed to be in deeper water and on more of a patrol route.  I also decided that one rod would be fished over a bed of Catalyst Pellets and Betafin Pellets with a mix of, Corn, Tiger, Chic peas with a load of Molasses for added attraction.  I only added a tin of each, as I was after the attraction.

I also Spombed out a few chopped boilies.

This was a mix of Smokey Jack & The Catalyst, with a 22 mm Catalyst bottom bait soaked in Finamino.  The other rod was just 18 mm Smokey Jack boilies with a 18 mm bottom bait soaked in the Smokey Jack dip.  The rain was setting in again, the air temperature had dropped to 13 degree’s, which was not helping my confidence at the moment.  The water temperature was 14 degree’s, so I just need to keep telling myself this.

It was looking very moody, but that sunny corner was looking good.

Night 1

As I lay on my bed-chair watching yet more rain failing, the air temperature was dropping and darkness fell over the lake.  I was not feeling that confident.  Later the evening got, the calmer the lake became.  I watched and listened, there were no signs at all of fish.  I must of drifted off to sleep, the cows in the field woke me at around midnight.  I took the opportunity, put a brew on and listened out again for any signs of fish.  It must of been over an hour before I heard a fish and then a couple more.  Now that made me feel bit more confident, once I had finished my coffee, I got back into the bag and laid there listening out again.  I got a couple of bleeps on the right hand rod and about 30 minutes after that, a single one on the left hand rod.  At around 0115, the left hand rod absolutely ripped off, I was out like a shot and with the fish kiteing left towards the island.  I was pumping the fish hard away from that area and we were home and dry.  Or so I thought.  It went straight across the front of the swim and headed for the overhanging tree, no you don’t I thought.  I was also lucky as it only just missed the other line.  Finally the fish was under control, under the rod tip, ploughing up and down with the odd go at trying to get back into open water.

But to no avail and it slipped nicey over the cord.

A nice 27 lb+ Common to start the trip off, that will do me.  The rain woke me up around 0630 again.  I did wonder if there was just to much rain going in the lake.  I will leave the rods where they are until around noon time and then top up the swim with more of the ground bait mix.  I will go for look about as it’s always good to know your options, as you can easily just sit back and wait to long, you have to keep focused.

Bit of a wet start today and the wind had pushed round to the SW again.

Night 2

My first full day turned into perfect conditions and I was feeling very confident.  I had one fish one the bank so far.  It was certainly looking good for another one today.  As the day passed, there was the normal fish showing behind the small island and along the tree line.  This had given me a great deal of hope.


As night fell, I drifted off to sleep, that’s the trouble of laying on a bed chair after a couple of glasses of wine.  Lucky for me, the wife texted about 9 pm,  otherwise I think I would of slept all night!  I don’t like doing this.  I try and stay up until the early hours, as the fish are very active in the night on this lake.  It gives you a good idea if you are in the wrong area.  In this instance, I was well positioned, the carp were tucked up in both bays to the right and left if me.  As long as they moved out, I would be in pole position.


Nice rainbow shot from thus afternoon

Through the night, there was plenty of carp active about, the rods only managed a few liners and in the morning I was feeling very surprised about the lack of fish.  I need to have a rethink of things, moving swim was cleanly not a option, I would be moving away from the fish.  I like to think things out.  First thing I did this morning was to change over to a Catalyst Natural Pop Ups on the right hand rod.  I need to put a bit of thought into the bait location and bait application today, the lake had been fished heavy over the weekend.  I started out with my ground bait mix and chopped up Catalyst & Smokey Jack boilies and a small area only had Smokey in it.  I have been fishing the lake each Tuesday & Thursday night and been doing very well, maybe this is the key and with the weather as it is, I now need to bait up as I would on those nights.  Let’s think about that.

The decision had been made after a walk around the lake and a chat with the only other angler on the lake.  The fish where clearly not far away.  I don’t have the option to fish the day swim unless I pack up and then set up again – probably in the dark.  I can’t really afford to drive backwards and forwards to the lake.  I have decided to stay another night and bait up a trail of bait out of the areas the fish are in.  I will then bait a large area up with a load of boilies, ground bait and some 8 mm Catalyst pellets soaked in Betafin liquids.  This I hope, will hold them there if they move out.  What I really need is some angler pressure in the day bay.


The conditions are just perfect, we shall see what tonight brings and then make the next choice.


Night 3

The night has fallen upon me again and with great expectations.  All I received was a belting run at around 1 am, which connected to thin air!  I picked up the rod as the line was still pouring off the Spool and pulled into absolutely nothing.  I wound down and did the same thing again.  Once I got the rig back, I checked the hook and it was needle sharp, must have been a heavy liner or a trailing fish (which you never need).  It did give me a bit of hope but that was that for the night.  A move was decided.  I am packing up and moving to a day swim, then off home to meet up with friends tomorrow for a social day on the easier lake.  I may stay and do a night or two, just gives me a night off for a rethink.


Nice spot for a few hour’s today, just fishing single hook baits and a catapult of boilies over spot. May move on later.

I gave it until just after noon, which was 3 hrs in the swim and not a single bleep.

Back home now and sorting out if for a nice easy day session tomorrow and then set up for another two nights on Meadow lake.  Got to be in it to win it, as they say.

Until next time


Please subscribe to my Video Diary






About richardhandel

I would like to give a brief snap shot of my life and introduce myself; My name is Richard Handel and was born in 1965 in Suffolk. I have worked as a UK Operation & Intermodule Manager for a shipping company. I live in Hampshire now and am married with 2 young children, both girls so I am a bit outnumbered even the cat is a girl! I have been fishing since I was about 7 years old. I started on small local rivers in Suffolk, then moved onto gravel pits and then carp fishing. My personal best is a 39.08 mirror, over recent years I have started river fishing again, on the Hampshire Avon, this is a nice break from the carp lakes. My life has turned a big corner this year, the company I was working for relocated their Operation centre to Estonia. I was offered a job at the head office in London. This would have meant a 5 day commute and working in Stratford. As a family, we did not fancy this, as I would hardly spend any time with the children (and the Mrs). So after 22.5 years, I was given a nice redundancy package and with my wife is working full time. I became the house husband. This has meant a complete turn around in my fishing, as I can pick and choose when I go. I have found a splendid new syndicate to fish this year, which includes 5 lakes and some 8 miles of river with only 150 members. It's an amazing change to the way I am able to fish. I am now trying to start my own tackle business and make a bit of a name for myself in the world of fishing, as I have retired from real work. Richard
This entry was posted in Aqua M3 Compact Bivvy, Asso Fishing Line, Carp fishing, Carp Tackle Supplies, Carp Talk Magazine, Catalyst pellet, Fishing, Fishing Video's, Fox Tackle, Fox Warror 12ft 3.25tc Rods, lake fishing, Pop Ups, richard handel, ridgemonkey, SHIMANO ULTEGRA, Smokey Jack, spomb, Spotted Fin, Steve Neville buzzers, summit tackle, Tackle Fanatic, The Catalyst, ULTRGRA 14000 REELS, winter, winter fishing and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Trip 91 Carp Fishing- 2017

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.