Trip 30 Carp Fishing – 2021

Location Airfield Lake

Hours – 72

Swim badger Island

As it’s my youngest’s birthday during the week, its not really possible me to fish other than the weekend this time.  So, with that in mind I organized another social with Ian and headed down the Airfield Lake.  We arrived mid afternoon but there where still plenty of options.  However, with the weather all over the place we decided to head for the open water and less populated area of the complex.

In search of those unknown monsters!

I baited up with a mixture of Spotted Fin nut blend and chopped Classic Corn boilies.

This mix went in an area that covered a lovely silty spot just off a gravel slope, fingers crossed the area just off the island would encourage the carp to feed.

We both sat back and enjoyed the sunshine, with a glass of wine or two and enjoyed the last rays of light.

Overnight there was the odd light shower.  The wind had swung around to the south west at some point and a light breeze was blowing through the bivvy.  This was well needed as I was still using my winter sleeping bag and for the first time, I was boiling hot.  The breeze helped me get a better night’s sleep!  I had a single bleep at around 2 am, but I had no other action.

The sun was doing its best to break through the clouds and give us a sunny day – the rain was due back this afternoon.

Just after 10 30 am, the right hand rod was away and a angry carp was heading out in towards the island.  I jumped into my waders and headed out into the lake with the rod in hand playing the carp.  I’ve no other choice in this swim as both sides of the swim have overhanging tree’s.  The carp was kiting right as quickly as it could to get under the tree to my left, but with my waders on, I could get out out past the tree and play the carp into the wanting Nsr50.

Just over the 14 lb mark

That’s not a bad start and hopefully more to come over the next few night’s.  I didn’t put the rod back out straight away, as I felt that there was a good chance of another bite before noon and didn’t want to spook any feeding fish.

As the afternoon progressed the rain set in from the south west with a lovely blow, chopping up the water, building my confidence levels for another bite.

The rain died away late evening and the sky cleared at one point, until the rain arrived again and wasn’t going away for some time.  There was the odd break in the showers and I was hoping for a bite in these periods as the day progressed.

More heavy rain arrived throughout the day until around 3 pm when it drifted away.  I took this opportunity to get a small amount of bait out and my rods ready for the evening.  I then popped over to Ian’s swim for a few hour’s and got back about 6 pm, flicked the rods out, had a bite to eat, a brew and then drifted off to sleep.

2 am arrived with the sound of a belter from my right hand rod.  I quickly got the waders on, head touch on, picked the rod up and carefully waded into the water – checking which direction the carp was heading.  Off to the left as normal.  They obviously prefer this direction!  I played the carp in with no drama, which is always a bonus and slipped the fish into the Nsr50.

14 lb 8oz Common

That will do me!  The rod was back out and it was time to get my head down as I was yawning my head off.

At 4 am, the same rod was away and I’m not sure if I had actually got any sleep between these two bites.  I was back out in the water as before, but with the added bonus of the dawn coming up over the forest and the birds in full song.  This time of the day is such a special time.  As I mentioned before, the fish kite left, obviously this one went right and I could feel the odd bump on the boulders as it was heading up over the bar.  There were a couple of moments when I just had to ease off a bit and the carp would become free again.  It obviously thought I had the upper hand and headed across the swim for the snags on my left, but the advantage of having my rods high, is that I simply lowered the tip and walked under the other rod playing the carp without any issues.  After playing the carp out, it was safely in the Nsr50.

20 lb 1 oz Common

Absolutely brilliant, well happy with that and with the rod was back out again.  I desperately needed some sleep, but I wasn’t sure it would happen as the cuckoo was in full swing, the warblers were also doing their stuff.

I abandoned getting some sleep, made myself some porridge and a brew so I could the sun coming up over the forest in peace.  As I was doing this, the right rod burst back into life again, as least it was day light and pretty easy get the waders on.  I again went back into the lake.  This fish was also heading to the left, but quickly changed direction and it more or less came straight in to the margins.  After a long(ish) battle, the rod tip slipped nicely into the Nsr50.

27 lb 9 oz Common

Wow! that’s just awesome, they are clearly getting a bit more on the move and probably even closer to spawning.  They are well overdue for this particular lake.  It may surprise you to know that every year since we have been able to fish on here they have spawn early May, in 2019  it was in fact late April (I don’t know about last year as we were in lockdown).  It may be became the lake is so large and shallow or possibly the carp have originated from colder climates.

With the rod back out, I was certainly feeling the need for more coffee.

That was the last carp of the trip and after the last one I’m over the moon.  I didn’t stay as long as planned as I was absolutely shattered after being up most of the night.

Until next time.

Stay safe




UK Fishing Blogs

About richardhandel

I would like to give a brief snap shot of my life and introduce myself; My name is Richard Handel and was born in 1965 in Suffolk. I have worked as a UK Operation & Intermodule Manager for a shipping company. I live in Hampshire now and am married with 2 young children, both girls so I am a bit outnumbered even the cat is a girl! I have been fishing since I was about 7 years old. I started on small local rivers in Suffolk, then moved onto gravel pits and then carp fishing. My personal best is a 39.08 mirror, over recent years I have started river fishing again, on the Hampshire Avon, this is a nice break from the carp lakes. My life has turned a big corner this year, the company I was working for relocated their Operation centre to Estonia. I was offered a job at the head office in London. This would have meant a 5 day commute and working in Stratford. As a family, we did not fancy this, as I would hardly spend any time with the children (and the Mrs). So after 22.5 years, I was given a nice redundancy package and with my wife is working full time. I became the house husband. This has meant a complete turn around in my fishing, as I can pick and choose when I go. I have found a splendid new syndicate to fish this year, which includes 5 lakes and some 8 miles of river with only 150 members. It's an amazing change to the way I am able to fish. I am now trying to start my own tackle business and make a bit of a name for myself in the world of fishing, as I have retired from real work. Richard
This entry was posted in Carp fishing and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.