Trip 29 Carp Fishing – 2021

After driving past all 3 car parks on my new syndicate; 2 were full and there were 16 cars in total.  I felt this was too many people for me at this time, so, I headed for the Airfield Lake.  This lake is usually quieter and l can keep myself to myself.  The wind is due to keep pushing hard from the southwest for the next few days and it will pick up at times to 40 mph.  There is also forecast the odd heavy rain showers and finally some warmer weather!  I feel I could be in with a chance of a bite or two.

I spombed out about 5 kilos of chopped up boilies, mixed up with a few tigers and Catalyst pellets that have been soaked for the past few day’s in Tiger Nut Juice.  I will be fishing a pop-up and a wafter both on the edge of the baited area, hoping to pick up the bigger carp.

It’s a shame I was unable to get a swim on the new syndicate water.  I think I’m going to have to consider arriving later in the day on Sunday.  This is a bit of a pain, as I really need to spend some time walking around looking before setting up.  I just don’t fancy leading about or boating around in the early evening OR do I completely bin Sunday night’s and arrive Monday morning, which is feeding time?

I’m unable to come next Sunday and the following weekend we will be off camping in Wales (hopefully), as the family has not seen my Dad since last July.

The night drifted by with wind and rain and the odd bleep until just before 7 am.  When the right-hand rod ripped off, I jumped into my waders, and headed out into the lake.  I was pumping the carp back from the open water and desperately trying to coax it back (and its dogged determination) from heading right, towards a shallow bar and a bunch of dead trees in the lake.  I had the ever-present worry of the dreaded overhanging bushes in the swim which have claimed many a hook pull over the years.  It has had some pruning but the location means you can’t get out into the water and prune the end branches, removing it would get you banned from the lake.  It came to the point in the battle, where I had to walk out to the left of the swim in order to get the best angle to gain more control over the carp.  It just wasn’t stopping and I had to put the brakes on it or, it was going to make the snags.  It was the point of no return.  You hang on and hope the carp turns or your lose.  Ping goes the hook and you are left standing waist deep in your waders wondering if you could have done it another way!

Why do the swans love to feed between your rods?  It’s something you just have to live with.

I got back into the sleeping bag, not particularly happy, and listened to the rain beating down on the bivvy.  I was mulling over what had happened, and eventually drifted back off to sleep, hopeful forget the fact that I may have lost a nice lump this morning.  The rain and wind carried on doing their stuff all morning.

Just before noon, the same rod was away again, this time it was kiting left which is much better.  I couldn’t believe my luck.  It managed to find a boulder, it was stuck hard and fast, I slackened the line of hoping the carp would run the other way and pull the line back out.  This was made a lot harder by both swans feeding under my rods tips, so I was unable to completely slacken off the line.  I prefer to do in this situation, after about 15 minutes and several attempts at freeing the carp, my tactic worked and the carp was heading off to the left again.  This time it was going for the bay to my left, which is situated behind me and there is a small island breaking up the entrance.  This is the small channel they go for, as there’s plenty of snags to get their heads into.  This carp was going to be mine after this morning disaster.  I turned the carp and I was now able to play the carp out in the margins.  This was made more difficult as my friendly swans were still next to me, trying to feed and hissing at me all the time.  I was up to my waist in the water with my net in hand, the swan was trying to get the carp that had just rolled on the surface next to it, trying to peck at it and scare the carp away.  Not ideal when I’m trying to get the fish into the net, just a couple of feet away.  But I just stayed calm and slipped a lovely Common into the Nsr50.  The relief was overwhelming after all the issues today.

Just over 19lbs, well happy.  I managed to get the rod back out onto the spot, despite the strong winds and I’m hoping tonight brings more good fortune.

The wind was still pretty strong, on the positive side the rain had gone away.  It was time to top up the swim with a few large spombs of my mixture and get some fresh baits on for my last night out.  Then it was definitely time for some food – I’d been eating biscuits all day long. I woke up to my early morning take (as hoped) and picked the rod up, I pulled into the fish and bump, off it goes.  I’m still lost for words some 5 hours later trying to write my thoughts down for my blog.  What is for certain, I need to put some thought into my rig set up, however, these fish are pretty renowned for their ability to drop hooks.  There must be a more reliable option.  Shame we can’t use 3 rods as it would speed the process up.  I’ve had all 3 takes, this trip, on the same rod and rig that’s been sharpened spot on.  Which is what I do all the time.  A couple of winters back, I ran a test and I had over 20 carp including the 30s all on the same rig just sharping the hook each time, with no issues, but not this lake I must add.

Something has to be done to combat this issue over the coming weeks.  The rig in question had been changed to a previous version this morning.  It has been great sitting here for the past two nights, in the wind and rain and tranquillity that this place brings.  I’ve not spoken to anyone on here and only seen other anglers from a distance, just sat back watched and listened to the wildlife, couldn’t ask for more.

Until next time

Stay safe








Fishing TV

UK Fishing Blogs


About richardhandel

I would like to give a brief snap shot of my life and introduce myself; My name is Richard Handel and was born in 1965 in Suffolk. I have worked as a UK Operation & Intermodule Manager for a shipping company. I live in Hampshire now and am married with 2 young children, both girls so I am a bit outnumbered even the cat is a girl! I have been fishing since I was about 7 years old. I started on small local rivers in Suffolk, then moved onto gravel pits and then carp fishing. My personal best is a 39.08 mirror, over recent years I have started river fishing again, on the Hampshire Avon, this is a nice break from the carp lakes. My life has turned a big corner this year, the company I was working for relocated their Operation centre to Estonia. I was offered a job at the head office in London. This would have meant a 5 day commute and working in Stratford. As a family, we did not fancy this, as I would hardly spend any time with the children (and the Mrs). So after 22.5 years, I was given a nice redundancy package and with my wife is working full time. I became the house husband. This has meant a complete turn around in my fishing, as I can pick and choose when I go. I have found a splendid new syndicate to fish this year, which includes 5 lakes and some 8 miles of river with only 150 members. It's an amazing change to the way I am able to fish. I am now trying to start my own tackle business and make a bit of a name for myself in the world of fishing, as I have retired from real work. Richard
This entry was posted in Carp fishing and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.