Location – Meadow Lake
Hours Fished – 51 Hours
I always like to spend the time driving to the lake mulling over my options of swims to fish. I find it narrows down them a bit and you can think about the wind/weather conditions. I normally follow these from trip to trip, I also mixed this with a bit of information from fellow members. I’ve come up with a list of swims in order of preference and I simply head for number 1 and move on if necessary. I still stand and look about and walk around a fair bit, but in general, I’m pretty spot on and mostly see carp in the no1 swim. And this week was no exception
As winter progresses it does get harder to see them and on here, they love the darker hours to stick their heads out and not give themselves away. So, you have to go with your gut instinct when the winter months arrive.
My issue this week was there where showing a lot closer in then normal and over an area of pretty much feature less, which was interesting and I simply stuck both rods out with single hook baits on into the area they where showing, I tried to stick some bait out, but the seagulls tele ported themselves into the swim instantly.
I would give it until about 1500 hrs and then get some bait out onto the spots I fancy, which certainly need a bit of thought over the next few hour’s.
After a great deal of thought and no pick ups from the carp I’d seen, I decided to put the right hand rod on the same spot as last week and the other on the spot I finished on. I fancy having one close and the other at range and see where it leads me, the wind is starting to pick up from the south, as per the forecast cast and is definitely looking good for a take.
The wind and rain was going through the night and when it died down, I heard a few carp crashing near by and I was confident of a take. Which unfortunately, never materialized and they stopped before first light, which meant I was unable to locate them.
The day started flat calm with the sunshine lighting up the lake.
I rebaited and moved the left hand rod a lot closer in, after hearing the carp in the night. They were not that far out. I also topped up the other spot and with any luck would get a take tonight or early evening.
The second night was also a completely bleep free night, which was not good in the slightest. I did spot a carp top not to far, which was a boost in my confidence. A choice needed to be made today about moving or staying put. The pressure is creeping up and there is another storm due tomorrow morning – with heavy winds and rain. I need to think if I fancy packing up in that, or go home today and enjoy a weekend with the family. That sounded more appealing than get soaked after blanking for a few day’s, there is always next time and the opportunity to start again with a fresh and clear mind.
My decision had been made and I would head home mid afternoon. I was convinced that the chances of any carp feeding would have passed and I could get home just as the kids got home from school, which would be nice for them.
I struggled last November with only 2 carp and I had already had 2 takes, which wasn’t to bad. I needed to do a bit of thinking this week and maybe fish a completely different part of the lake.
Until next time