Below are my 11 top tips to help you catch more Pike, when fishing rivers, some of the below can also be applied for lake fishing.
(1) Find where the bait fish are feeding (if you can), it will help by asking the float anglers.
(2) Use live bait if allowed, as this is the best bait.
(3) Use the freshest of dead baits.
(4) Use bait flags
(5) Pike will hang around cover e.g snags & reeds
(6) Super sharp hooks
(7) Find a clear sand area, near lily pads or weeds, were the bait fish will hopefully be.
(8) Slower areas of the river are a good bet, were the pike should rest up for the evening .
(9) Using semi bardless treble hooks, will help with unhooking fish.
(10) Don’t delay striking for more than 15 seconds, this will save deep hooked pike. ( I use large baits. If you use small baits, strike straight away).
(11) Make sure you have the correct unhooking tools – long forceps x 2/3 – long nose pliers – long nose cutters
(12) I have found that over the years, between 1500/1530 is the best time to get a bite. It’s always good to make sure you change your bait to a fresher one and recast by 1400 hrs.
Hope these help
ga(‘create’, ‘UA-62538511-1’, ‘auto’);